Plastic straws are no longer an acceptable product. We know what damage they do to the environment and how many will be around for, probably, hundreds of years to come. We have therefore sourced several alternatives to plastic. An easy plastic swap. One option are these reusable copper straws. They are available in two finishes. One is shiny polished copper and the second option are etching into the shiny copper. The etching come in a variety of pattern and will be supplied as they come.
It was estimated the UK used 8.5 billion straws a year, prior to the many bans now in place. This statistic is according to the Marine Conservation Society, who also report that plastic straws are one of the top 10 items found in beach clean-up.
These reusable copper straws are made by artisans in a small village in South Africa. These are re-usable so you won’t have to buy more! They can be carried in a little cloth bag so you can easily pop them into a bag or pocket. They will certainly be a talking point when you are drinking your soft drink or cocktail!
The advantages of copper:
- Completely recyclable
- Safe to use
- Not harmful to people or the environment
- Efficacy as an antimicrobial is scientifically proven to be far more effective than silver-containing coatings
- Proven to continuously kill the microbes that cause infections
- The only solid metal touch surface approved by the US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA).
- Never wears out with continuous and ongoing antimicrobial action
- Remains effective even after repeated wet and dry abrasion and re-contamination
- Natural oxidation does not impair efficacy.
- Inherently antimicrobial, no chemicals added
And they look great!
some information about plastic straws:
“In the ocean, plastic does not biodegrade. Instead it just breaks down into smaller pieces over hundreds of years, and it’s impossible to clean up. With up to 12 million tonnes of plastic clogging up the oceans every year, it’s no wonder wildlife is facing the brunt of the impacts.” source: https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/final-straw-20170310/
Plastic straws have been banned in Cornwall – http://finalstrawcornwall.co.uk/
And plastic straws are being banned in Scotland by the end of 2019 – https://www.independent.co.uk/environment/scotland-plastic-straw-ban-pollution-2019-cotton-buds-a8206636.html